Carbohydrates are organic compounds - polyhydric alcohols consisting of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen, in which the ratio of hydrogen to oxygen is the same as in water (H2O), which is 2:1. Are commonly found in all plants: cereals, potatoes, pulses, fruits, and also in animal organisms.
Features of carbs:
- the cheapest and most readily available source of energy which is used primarily to maintain constant body temperature, the work of internal organs and to perform physical labor. , 1 g carbohydrates releases 4 kcal,
- Glucose is almost the sole source of energy for the brain and muscles,
- carbohydrates allow the economical balance of proteins and fats,
- supplied carbohydrates in the diet or synthesized in the body, are the building - blocks for the generation of structural elements of cells or biologically active substances (galactose, ribose, galacturonic acid, amonocukry, acetylated sugars, etc.)
- carbohydrates are not processed (overall) play an important role in water and mineral water, reducing the excretion of these compounds,
- participate in the construction of cellular membranes,
- some polysaccharides (dietary fiber), although they are not digested by the human body and absorbed, it does play an important role in regulating gastrointestinal motility.